One of the great moves to have in your trick book is the upwind 360. It may not impress the tourists on the beach, but all your buddies on the beach will be quietly impressed by this unassuming technical trick. The UW360 feels great when you perfect it and opens the door to Flakas on flat water and the Takas in the waves, it really is a must have move when you start your freestyle journey.
- Sail across the wind and lean the sail to the back of the board. LOOK in the direction you want to go. As the sail goes back transfer your weight onto your heels, driving the board into the wind.
- When you are dropping the sail back remember to move your hands down the boom. Moving your hands along the boom is important – YOUR HANDS ARE NOT SUPER GLUED TO THE BOOM the boom is how you control the power.
- The board will then start to carve into the wind. Try to get as far round as possible. As the board speed reduces start to transfer all your body weight from your heels onto your toes. Now the board speed has reduced lean forward bringing the rig with you. Slide your hands down the boom. Remember we are always counter balancing our weight against the rig, so rig forward weight back.
- As the rig slices forward you are aiming to push the mast through the eye of the wind. Do not push with your back hand we are trying to keep the sail neutral. The boom should end up tucked under your arm.
- Now the sail is neutral, so here comes the tricky part. Your front hand controls the turn your backhand the power.
- Front hand – as you slice the sail forward, if you want the board to turn push the front hand in the you want to go, but remember to be gentle.
- If it’s windy, to control the power extend your front hand down lower to the water pull in with your back hand, this will depower the sail (the dry humping effect)
- As the nose of the board starts to turn in the direction you want to go, you will end up in the back winded position, so remember your power control that dry hump, slowly feel the board in the direction you want to go with your front hand when the board is sat on a bored reach or a run your ready to pop the clue through!
- To pop the clue through, you do this wait for the nose of the board to point down wind. As soon as this happens we move our weight from your toes to our heels. As the clue goes through we must be prepared to handle the power in the sail. So, get back onto your heels. When the clue goes through keep your back hand down this will also help to handle the power.
- Now sail away.
More hints and more tip can be found on the windsurfcoaching.com blog and websites.
Message our facebook page and we will reply with solutions to your problems, or by the DVD Go Pro with Colin and Marco.
Where To Go To Progress Your Freestyle
So, whatever your freestyle level there is a lot to be learning towards the end of summer and even more places to venture to as this the season continues.
Check out the full Boardseeker Summer Special for all the places to travel and info on how to arrange your perfect windsurfing holiday.
Another destination we recommend, especially as a year round location, is Club Dahab which is located on the stunning windy shores of the Red Sea. It offers over 300 days of force 4+ a year and is proud to be the only British centre in Dahab, and the only one offering inclusive rental and tuition with Club Vass top instructors. Just a short haul flight away, it’s ideal for a quick ‘fix’ any time of the year, with many flight options.
The centre commands a prime beach position, with easy access to all sailing spots and it’s the only place rocking the unique Club Vass vibe!
Club Vass Hot Shot Pip Pardoe has moved on to Club Dahab for the windy season to join Luke and the team. Pip has proved to be a huge star at Club Vassiliki, pulling off some of the biggest moves, he is Mr Motivator!
And there are some great deals for Autumn 2012. W/C 15th September through to W/C 13th October only £349 for 1 week!
(Price includes: Airport transfer, accommodation at the Ganet Sinai, half-board meal plan, tuition with top instructors, unlimited use of windsurfing kit).
www.clubvass.com [email protected] 0844 463 0191