Tiree – More Super X and More Waves

Speed, Bruises, Cuts, Injuries and a Jumping Competition

Cruising past Gott Bay this morning the wind was marginal. 11.00am it kicked in windy with driving rain and flat.
 Out of all the disciplines, they went for Super X, this time with a full on downwind course, three duck gybes, three sausages, 2 forward loops and a spock. Believe me that is more than enough to completely tire you out. Getting over the sausages was still tricky, but easier to time. The racing was much more tactical, than before. The first leg was really long, but gusty. This is where you would forward. Leaving it as late as possible was often best, but you could
run into a lull which was not so good. The duck gybe also happened to be in a massive gust. Racing on 5.8\’s whilst freesailors were on 4.7\’s. Control was a serious issue. Chris Audsley found this out on a 6.6 he got sessioned,
sucked under a sausage, and had to make his way through the repochage on 6.0 where he got 3rd.

Chris Audsley…

“Nothing really changed all through the first final, everyone made everything so it was the same all the way round. I nearly got Proffit on the finish line. He did his forward really early, I left mine till just before the finish line, but he just got me”

The Second Race…

This was where the commotion started. First injury was Darren Mitchell in the youths, slicing his foot. Clyde Waite then decided to better this, wiping out fully overpowered on the spock he returned to the beach with a face of blood waiting for 5 stitches. Their races were over. Further on in the day, Andy King sliced his foot, John Hibbard his face, Chris Audsley a rib and half of Jamie Hancocks face was bulging after a big crash in the jumps.

By this time the racing was starting to look really good. Everyone was going really fast, making all the sausages
and even attacking spaces at the gybe marks. Tactical forward looping was seen too. The last final was lead and
won by John Skye, with Ben Proffit in hot pursuit. The real race in that lot was for all the other positions. At one point Coxy was there, then Audsley, then Andy King. The positions were changing all over the place. Andy King
managed to sneak through on the duck gybe, but a wrestle with the sail let through Horrocks. Just when
Coxy thought that he was safe, he sat in lull, whilst everyone else managed to sneak by.

Audsley came in 3rd and Andy 5th

The funniest thing, perhaps not for them was all of the amateur fleet getting disqualified, for snaking off the end of the buoy. James Kanning showed us the importance of helmets. He had a massive dent in it from Ruth Elliot catapulting behind him.

The youths race was won by Richard Potter, who stormed round the course cleary showing his racing speed,
another racer won the juniors – Richard Jones.

2.30 pm – Now we are going to run a wave heat

You are joking! Derig all the sails, race over to Crossapol, rig up a 4.7 and go and jump. The conditions were great
for starboard tack jumping. The judges decided to run a wave round with no waves counting which didnt go down to
well with some people. Notably Phil Horrocks who was favourite to win the title, but now had no waves to score on
and was in a killer heat.

Only 1 person went through to the semi\’s the rest having to battle it out in the repochage round. It was pretty harsh draws, for example in one heat John Skye, Jonas Caballos and Jamie Hancock were put together. Jonas went
through leaving a John Skye in the repochage round. Phil Horrocks, also in this round had to sail against John Skye, Jamie Hancock who rips on starboard tack, John Hibbard, Clyde Waite and Jack Hunt. The conditions by that point were deterioating and the odd stunt ramp was coming through. Making it super hard to fit in the three jumps. Things just did not seem to be going Phils way. He started with a perfect pushie but then struggled to fill his card. The
same happened to John Hibbard who didnt quite make some high backloops. In the end the result was harsh as first and second only made it though., Jamie Hancock came in first, John Skye second and Clyde Waite (with full head bandage) in third. The other repochage round saw Matt Wemms cause a few upsets with some tidy jumping and he beat his fellow south coast sailors
James Cox and Paul Hunt to take a spot in the semi final, where he joined both Andy, Steve King and Ben Proffit.

This leads to a strange situation which really affects the overall results, out of 12 people only 4 advances. Out and bust! The conditions continued to further deterioate. The first semi final ran as a jumping only, won by Andy King.
The second turned into one wave and one jump. Despite getting a peachy wave ride, Jamie Hancock who had been sailing so well struggled to get a good jump. Skyeboy and Jonas progressed to the final.

That was as far as we got, the final was never sailed, but there is a ruling that says this result stands. As it is, it is pretty harsh on Phil Horrocks, who has so far been the best allround sailor.

Tomorrow looks light, but up in Tiree you never know what might happen. Some people perhaps wished that today hadn\’t..

Skyeboys Pearls…

“Today was a better day!”

“Super X was brilliant, super fun windy with close racing. The second final we had a really good race, me Ben,
Phill, Andy King and Chris neck and neck the whole way round. Everyone really enjoyed it. The waves were a bit dubious, it started off really good with good wind and good jumping, as the wind dropped it became a bit of a lottery
as to who could get the ramps and the gusts to coincided. I managed to scrape into the last four so I am happy,
but feel bad for Phil who really suffered”

Photo Credit:


Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.